We’re looking for passionate writers to contribute to Nifty Homestead.
If you’re interested, please read the job description below, take a look at our writer’s guidelines to understand what we want from our writers, and then fill out the Application form below.
1. Gardening/Homesteading Writer:
We’re looking for a part-time writer for Nifty Homestead to help increase our content creation goals for 2017 and beyond. Our staff and guest contributors currently produce 2-4 longer-form blog posts per week, as well as our larger resources like our Tiny House Guide.
What You Will Be Doing:
- 70% – Content Creation / Writing / Editing – Leverage your own knowledge, and research new topics, to create blog posts and resource pages for Nifty Homestead and partner sites. Occasionally edit guest contributions that are submitted.
- 20% – Email Outreach – Reaching out to other folks in the industry to do interviews, share work you’ve produced, or guest post on other industry websites.
- 10% – Miscellaneous Marketing Support – Making other needed updates to sections of our website, assistance with social media or running contests, etc.
- Hands-on experience with homesteading activities like: gardening, canning, natural building, raising animals, etc.
- Established track record of writing articles/blog posts, preferably under a deadline—either as part of your job, as a freelancer, or for your own projects.
- Ability to research and write quality pieces quickly.
- Able to research and set up interviews with minimal supervision. You should enjoy learning more about all of the topics we cover.
- WordPress experience.
- Able to handle basic photography and design tasks (no need to be a Photoshop expert, but any visual design experience is a plus). Also please let us know if you have experience with other mediums like video.
About The Position:
- This is a part-time position at $18 per hour.
- Remote work will be considered for well-qualified U.S.-based candidates. Please don’t apply if you’re outside the U.S.
- Please use the word spaceship somewhere in your application email so we can filter out applicants with poor attention to detail.
To apply, please complete our application form below.
Contributor Application Form:
What Makes A Great Post On Nifty Homestead:
- Be Thorough – Our best posts are 1000 to 2000 words or longer
- Make it Educational – please don’t pitch your product here.
- Make it Practical & Applicable – make it relevant for our readers and include lots of useful tips.
- Show, Don’t Tell – include unique or custom images that haven’t been used elsewhere, video, or other multimedia.
- Write Clearly – use a tool like Hemingway App if you’re not a professional writer (most of us aren’t).
- Prove It – use lots of cited and helpful resources, including other content on Nifty Homestead and elsewhere on the web
- Relevant To Your Expertise – write about topics that you have direct experience with – please don’t submit a post on how to set up an aquaculture tank if you’ve never actually done it.
You can read more on our writer’s guidelines here.